The National Content Standards publications define what a student should know and be able to do as result of a quality physical education program. States and local school districts across the country use the National Standards to develop or revise existing standards, frameworks and curricula.
- Standard 1 - The physically literate individual demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
- Standard 2 - The physically literate individual applies knowledge of concepts, principles, strategies and tactics related to movement and performance.
- Standard 3 - The physically literate individual demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
- Standard 4 - The physically literate individual exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
- Standard 5 - The physically literate individual recognizes the value of physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression and/or social interaction.